In India, you must have a valid driver’s license to operate a car. A learner’s license is necessary for individuals who are still learning, while a valid permanent driving license is required for those who have passed their exam.
Applying for a learner’s, driver’s license or tracking driving licence application status is a straightforward process that may be completed online or at the RTO nearest to your residence. When applying for a license in India, there is an application fee that must be paid, which can be either online or at the RTO office.
Fees for a Driver’s License
The cost of getting a driver’s license varies depending on a few criteria. Whether you are applying for a learner’s permit or taking the final exam to become a licensed driver are two among them.
Another factor to consider is whether you are an overseas driver seeking to obtain a driver’s license in the country. Finally, there are fees associated with renewing either a learner’s permit or a driver’s permit. You can check all these details or the driving licence application status on the official website without any hassle.
Fees for a driver’s license and a learner’s permit are shown in the table below:
The following are the costs associated with obtaining a learner’s permit:
- Form 3 has a fee of Rs.30.
- Form 6 has a fee of Rs.40.
- The charge for the road safety cess is Rs.50.
The following are the costs of obtaining a permanent driver’s license:
- The price for the driving license exam is Rs.100.
- Form 7 (or smart card) costs Rs.200.
- The charge for obtaining a driver’s license is Rs.40.
- The road safety fee for a 2-wheeler license, with or without gear, is Rs.100.
- The road safety fee for a light motor vehicle (non-transport) license is Rs.150.
- The road safety fee for a light motor vehicle (transport) license is Rs.200.
- The road safety fee for a medium and heavy motor vehicle license is Rs.500.
Which Driver’s License Should You Use?
In India, there are four different forms of driver’s licenses:
- Learning License
- Permanent Driver’s License
- Commercial Driver’s License
- Learning License for International Driving
- Learning License: You cannot simply apply for a permanent or commercial license. You will need to apply for a learner’s permit in both circumstances. This is valid for 6 months from the date of issuance, following which you can apply for a permanent license 30 days after the validity ends or a month after it is issued. You can check the driving licence application status on the official portal.
- Permanent Driving License: This license is required if you wish to drive for personal reasons such as transporting your children to school, going for a ride, or shopping.
The permanent driver’s license is the most often utilized since it meets a wide range of requirements. It is good for 20 years or until you reach the age of 50, whichever comes first. You may now check or verify your driving licence application status while sitting at home.
- Commercial Driver’s License: If you wish to transport goods or a big number of passengers, you’ll need a commercial driver’s license. A business license that allows you to move products using a Light Goods Vehicle (LGV), Medium Goods Vehicle (MGV), or Heavy Goods Vehicle (HGV), as well as ferry passengers using a Heavy Passenger Motor Vehicle (HPMV). This license is valid for three years after it is issued.
- Learning License for International Driving: If you wish to drive in foreign nations or overseas, you must apply for an international driving permit. You can drive a car in a foreign country if you have an International Driving Permit. This certificate is printed in a variety of languages to ensure that the authorities understand that you are permitted to drive on their territory. The permission is only valid for one year and cannot be renewed; to obtain it again, one must reapply.
Remember that your driver’s license is also a legal form of identification recognized by the Indian government. The fact that you have this document proves that you are competent and authorized to drive anyplace in India. Additionally, if you have applied for one, you can check your driving licence application status easily.