S1000D is an international specification that is prescribed for the procurement and production of technical publications. Essentially, it also provides a comprehensive mechanism for publication planning, content interchange, referencing, and publishing. This specification is designed to assist project teams in achieving their data delivery goals.
Who governs S1000D?
The S1000D specification is supported by the successor to AECMA, the AeroSpace and Defence Industries of Europe (ASD), the Aerospace Industries Association of America (AIA) and the Air Transport Association (ATA). Moreover, this specification is controlled by the S1000D Steering Committee (SC) – an international body responsible for maintaining certain specifications.
Initially, S1000D was used in the European defense community, but now it has expanded globally in all the major sectors, including land, sea, and air. In regard to the current scenario, S1000D is used in shipboard systems, sea-based systems, land vehicles as well as several commercial equipment. Moreover, in the near future, S1000D will also be used for producing documentation for new commercial aircraft, including the Boeing 787 and Airbus 350.
Benefits of S1000D
S1000D provides a clearly defined methodology for exchanging technical information between key persons, including partners, suppliers, and customers. Moreover, being an XML and non-proprietor specification, it also covers the following range of benefits:
- Ability to reuse and re-distribute the data multiple times without recreating or paying for the new publications.
- Detailed structure for preparing, managing, and publishing technical information for a product.
- Different output forms can be re-generated from a single data source, thus ensuring consistency of data delivered to users
- Readily available standard data exchange format provides support to future development projects.
- Reduces costs associated with maintenance, storage of technical information and thereby impacts the overall Product Life-Cycle costs.
- Facilitates complete configuration control, transfer of information and neutral delivery and management of data.
- Improved interoperability, consistency, compliance, and cost-savings strategies.
S1000D provides a comprehensive framework to transform the complex task of technical documentation into a simplified and manageable process. Also, its structured approach allows you to control the technical integrity of data, constantly validate the information against a pre-determined set of business rules and thereby ensure maximum consistency.
Sonovision being a leader in the field of technical publications and illustrations can help your team to understand the benefits of S1000D, build a business assessment plan, and develop business rules for your projects. The Sonovision S1000D authoring services can help you to produce or revise your new technical publications in S1000D.